Sunday, May 13, 2012

Week Two: Comment on Golda's post


wk2 comment #1: Golda Lawson-Cohen

9 dot puzzelIt’s all invented and the 9 dot puzzle got me thinking how linear I sometimes get when trying to figure out a solution to a problem. This holds true when I am working on keeping motivated on something. It doesn’t matter what that something is but thinking outside the box helps in solving how to keep that motivation going even when I feel less motivated because I tell myself that the choice is to do it now and get it done or do it later and have it over my head.
Another story I would like to share is when I had the opportunity to teach small local college computer applications. With the start of each class, I would have students so worried about their GPAs that they would have a terrible time in focusing on the material that was being taught. At first, I would attempt to calm them down with saying, “you do the work, and you will get the A.” After reading the chapter about “Giving an A” I realized that if I just gave them the A that they wanted the course would have gone smoother. It is in retrospect that I realize that administration would not care for this idea. So starting out with the A and having points taken off would probably show the student that if they worked hard the A would still be there ev
words
en with a few points taken off and that they were human. Somehow

, it would be a win-win situation. Administration would get what they wanted and the student would have less stress knowing that they had the A to start with and it would be up to them to keep it. This is definitely a spinoff of what our book has to say. I found it a good compromise.

Golda,

I like that you start your post with the 9 dot problem. I am sad to admit that I could not figure it out. I was doing exactly what he said, trying to use the dots without considering that I didn’t have to use them as a border. I tend to be linear like you when solving a problem. But I will say that Full Sail has me considering solutions that I would not have in the past.
I also enjoy how you came up with a “compromise” for the Easy A idea. When grades must be given, and administration is looking for a bell curve, not every students receiving an A, teachers are stuck in the middle of what may be best for our students’ learning and satisfying administration demands. Well done!


No comments:

Post a Comment