Saturday, October 1, 2011

BP3_Minutes.io

As a teacher, I am constantly looking for 2.0 tools I can use with students in my classroom. Yet there is so much work I do outside of my time with students, sometimes I overlook ways to make that part of my job easier. The tool that I chose to review for this post is Minutes.io, and I plan to use it during any time the staff gets together to plan for the school.

This is a very simple, easy to use app that makes taking minutes (notes) of a meeting and then getting those minutes out to others a breeze. Gone are the days of typing up a Word document, printing it off, making 75 copies, and then passing them out to teacher mailboxes. With Minutes.io, the note-taker uses a template that makes recording information in a fast-moving meeting simple.

Once the meeting is over, the note taker can instantly share the minutes with the participants online, or even with individuals who may have missed the meeting via email. There is even an option for printing them off.

This app is free, and does not require a user to sign in. It was created in 2011, and was intended "to provide a simple, effective solution for meeting note takers". The Minutes.io website lists the following as features:
~take notes without logging in
~access all feature for free
~share notes by email or private URL
~record notes locally without an internet connection


The following screen shot is an example of how I will use Minutes.io while I take notes during our Building Leadership Team weekly meetings after school:


This app stands out to me because of its ease of use and simplicity. It makes it easy for the note- taker to pass the notes around digitally after the meeting. The layout is crisp and clean, with a virtual piece of white copy paper on top of a textured gray background. The meeting can be named anything the note-taker chooses, and the date and time are automatically generated. The location, minute-taker, and attendees area can be easily completed. The entire document page stays organized with simple note types of "to-do, okay, info, and idea". Due dates can be added to each note with one click of the mouse.

When using Minutes.io, team members have real time access to what was discussed. This will save me the time and paper used in the past. I am looking forward to putting this into action with my colleagues and administrators.


3 comments:

  1. Cindi,

    This is a tool that I can be very useful in my work environment too. There are so many times when a meeting or event is finished and someone is looking for a record of what took place and when and don't have it. This is one of those things that since most of us have access to some type of technology such as a laptop, iPad, SmartPhone, or something else that we have easy access to. I have to say that just based on the information you gave with how it is organized that it makes me want to try out and apply this tool for weekly use not just the occasional meeting or class where I am taking notes.

    Thank you for the resource!
    Dara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey foxy,
    Why didn't you tell me about this in month 1? Ya know when I took notes for all the second life meetings? Well, I'm glad I know about it now for art club, and go green at my school.
    Thanks,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dara, let me know how you like it if you do try it out. And Tessa, isn't that the truth! Think of all the handwritten notes you took in Second Life as our note taker. This would have made your work so much easier. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Thanks to both of you for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete