Saturday, October 15, 2011

PE_5 Strip Design/Animoto

Strip Design is an app that I purchased on my iPhone for $2.99.  I am struggling now to see how to use these technology tools in my new classroom.  The three student computers are not working (don't ask), and there are no iPads, laptops, SmartBoard, or basically anything.  I have overhead projection and one desktop that I can use, so I can at least use Web 2.0 tools (that aren't blocked by my district, those are few and far between) and project them on the screen for the whole class to see.  However, that is not interactive, and I am struggling to make this work.  

So I am hoping to be able to use my own iPhone and MacBook to use Strip Design.  The lesson Amanda and I are working on is to have students use analogies to relate a cell to the school building.  Here is a sample Strip Design page I created from a picture taken a couple weeks ago when I was with my second grade students before my position was cut due to low enrollment.



On my next post, I hope to have a select few students who may be able to handle taking pictures and using Strip Design create their own comparisons of a cell to the school building.  While Amanda's class will focus on many organelles, I have decided to stick to only 3 basic cell parts: the nucleus, cytoplasm, and cell membrane.  Crossing my fingers that it will work, and that my phone and MacBook remain in one piece!

Once I have those pages complete, I would hope to use Animoto or PhotoPeach to put them into an animated slide show.  I have used both apps before on my second grade blog, www.cynthiamadanski.edublogs.com, and they are a wonderful tool to bring still pics to life.  Here is a sample video of an Animoto video I included on my blog:

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment